Thursday, January 1, 2015

Eating Our Mistakes

Ursula Vernon wrote this great post about the lessons of learning to throw clay pots, and then smashing the whoopses.


I haven't taken that pottery class yet, but I make plenty of whoopses. Often in the kitchen--where happily it's usually still edible, even if you might not serve it to company. 

These loaves are an attempt at upping the white wheat flour in French bread, making the bread a little closer to whole grain. They look pretty good, but they're DENSE. Why? Because it was a spur of the moment decision to bake, on a day when I didn't feel like going to the grocery store for the vital wheat gluten needed to amend the dough. I know better, but I just wanted it to work easily--as if my desires can affect the structure of bread. (Yes, I would LOVE to have superpowers that lend themselves to toast...) 
I'm getting better at making the best of my whoopses--in this case a smear of butter or jam goes a long way. 






No comments:

Post a Comment