Sunday, November 16, 2014

Enemy Territory

It's football season and I'm a Packers fan.

I wanted to watch the Packers-Eagles game at a sports bar, so we headed to a new-to-us place... and realized that it was a place where all the Eagles fans hang out.

Uh-oh.

It was probably a good thing that I didn't wear my jersey or a hat or my cheesehead, but the first time the Packers scored, I let out a WOOOOT and my allegiance was obvious.

It was not an especially loving crowd, and a few guys would shout about the Packers sucking every time my team scored or made an especially effective play.  I kept from responding (this word suck--I do not think it means what you think it means...), but oy.

We closed our tab at halftime and headed to more neutral territory. Probably a very wise mood, as the Packers ended up with a thirty-three point advantage.

It seems a bit ridiculous to use such war words as "enemy territory" and "neutral territory." Fans 1400 miles from a stadium cannot control the course of the game. Whatever will be will be.

And yet, we feel the need to compete, even when it involves outcomes we absolutely cannot control.

No comments:

Post a Comment