Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Knowing Your Limits

My Nissan Leaf, like all electric cars, has a range. In perfect conditions I might get close to a hundred miles on a full charge.

We don't always get perfect conditions, though. If it's hot out (and especially if i have the air conditioning running), I lose miles of possible range. Highway speeds reduce the range, too. I live in a town where people always take the highway...and expect you to go fast.

And then there's the mornings when I realize that the car didn't have enough time or opportunity to recharge during the night before.

I do the best I can, sometimes changing my routes, sweating a little, or if I absolutely have to, cancelling events because I just don't have the miles to do it all and get home.

When I can, I try to give myself a buffer of twenty or thirty miles of range. Just in case.

The start of the church year can test the limits of both my car and my own energies. There are so many good things, all calling for my attention. Relationships to build and strengthen, programs to organize and support, a copier to woo and so many documents to wrangle.

Tomorrow morning I'll sleep in a little, then work on documents here at home. My car will come back to a full charge, and perhaps I will recharge as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment