Wednesday, December 31, 2014

#FinishingTheYear

My dear friend and colleague Andrea Lerner gave an end-of-year challenge-
Select unfinished project/craft
Complete by 12/31
Post smiling ‪#‎FinishingTheYear‬ Pic
Revel in your accomplishment!


I have any number of "Get Around To It" projects that could qualify. 


The one chosen? The major pruning of my rose bushes.

I hate to cut back roses while they're blooming, yet in Houston, they never truly go dormant. So for several years I've taken tiny swipes at a few unruly canes, leaving me with leggy and too-tall plants. Here's one.


Today, though, I went forth bravely and chopped the bushes back to about a foot tall. Woof.


I conscripted my sons to bundle up the leavings, and we put a few of the blooms in the house for a New Year's Eve gathering.


I know the roses will grow back better than ever, and this also let us get rid of some volunteer trees growing around the base. Now to wait for Spring...










No comments:

Post a Comment