Monday, January 12, 2015

The Start of Something Delicious

They say that simplifying your life is a good thing.

So I, of course, do something to make it more complicated. No, I'm not pregnant or getting a puppy. A little less maintenance than that.


I've adopted a sourdough starter. The note atop the container tells me

Starter Instructions: For the next three days, keep the starter at room temperature and feed daily with one cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 c. water.  
At that point, it is ready to use and should be refrigerated. Feed it every 4 to 5 days (1 c. flour and 1/2 c. water.) 
After four feedings, discard half or give it to a friend. After two regular feedings (that is, after you have started refrigerating it) transfer to a clean container. 
If old bits are allowed to cling to the side, they can contaminate and kill the starter.

We've made it through the three day period, moved the starter to the fridge, and today I made some sourdough dinner rolls.

And because I'm me, I have a spreadsheet to track feedings and usage and recipes.

That whole "work-life balance" thingy. It's a dream or a myth or a struggle, or maybe it's a dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment