Saturday, June 6, 2015

Which Side of the Road?


Growing up in Wisconsin, I'm used to gravel on the side of the road--all the glaciers that once covered the state left us with plentiful rocks of all sizes from the gravel to potato-sized to giant erratics spotting farmers' fields.

The first time I visited my spouse's old stomping grounds in Massachusetts, I was surprised to see granite curbing. It's durable and interesting, and seemed quite posh, even if it is a local resource.

In Houston we pay big bucks for gravel and rocks of any size. Our geology is more about being river/ocean bed not so long ago. Lots of clay, expanding and contracting with the rain, a royal pain to dig. And I'm still startled and amazed when I come across an oyster shell just lying about.

No comments:

Post a Comment