Sunday, July 20, 2014

Red-Winged Blackbirds and Fireflies

In Kansas, I think, I spotted my first red-winged blackbird of the trip. It gave me a special thrill.
As did the next one. 
And the next one. 
And the next one. 

I never see red-winged blackbirds in Houston*, but they're all over Wisconsin. You see them all the time--locals pay them no mind whatsoever.  Two weeks into the trip, I still smile when I notice them, but I am not paying as much attention.

Fireflies, though...

When I was growing up, we didn't really see fireflies around here. I doubt they were spraying this far out of town, but I really do not know. 

I can remember the first time I saw them, out in Iowa when I was eight years old. It was magical.

So it was a real shocker the first trip back up here when I noticed one and then dozens of them lighting up my parents' backyard.  It was all I could do not to grab a peanut butter jar and chase the little bugs around the yard. I've been known to get covered in mosquito bites as I stare in wonder. 

I would like to think that I will never take fireflies for granted. Of course, we can get habituated to almost anything.

I imagine my great-grandparents, marveling at indoor plumbing. The only time I think about it, quite honestly, is when something is stopped up. Similarly all the comforts of modern living, from electricity to preventative medicines. 

The simple fact that my parents still live in the only house I remember growing up in (we moved here when I was two) and we get to spend time here each year? With both of my sisters nearby? That's pretty amazing. I try to keep that in mind when we're all under one another's feet.

From technology to family to the natural world around me, I am so very blessed. Now to keep that in mind...

What everyday wonder makes you gasp? 
Where have you forgotten your wonder? 
What are you most grateful for?


*Houston Audubon claims that red-winged blackbirds do nest in the area. Perhaps they hide from me... but more likely, there are more comfortable wetlands further out.

No comments:

Post a Comment