Monday, June 30, 2014

How Productive Are You?

I just spent an hour in starting to write up a list of procedures for the volunteer job I've been doing for the past ten years. I generally explain the job with just a few words, but my vacation sub has requested full instructions.

It's simple enough to list the steps. But it turns out that each step has several internal steps. Some computery, some thinking, some communicating. Some measure of the WHY needs to be included, but not so much that the document becomes unwieldy to read...

In the end it will take me longer to write and organize the how-to than my Wednesday morning shift generally takes. 

I've been making my way through Ann M. Garrido's Redeeming Administration: Twelve Spiritual Habits for Catholic Leaders in Parishes, Schools, Religious Communities and Other Institutions. Yes, it was written by a Catholic, but I am finding it a useful tool for reflection. Especially on those days when I feel like I am not accomplishing much of anything, or making much of a difference.

Through this book, and in my reflections and experiences, I'm realizing that when you're feeling unproductive, you probably are accomplishing more than you think you are. So often the things we do as a matter of course are complicated and involve a variety of skills and decision-making.

Yeehaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment