Monday, March 24, 2014

Puzzle pieces

In February I posted a sermon referencing a patio project having some fallow time. 

Well, this past week my father has been visiting, my kids on spring break, and we have mostly completed the work. Leveling the surface, putting in electrical for the fountain he made me, putting in pea gravel and finally arranging the flagstone.

Our flagstone selection is a rather varied bunch- no two pieces are the same, in thickness or size or shape. Some are smooth, some are bumpy, and we've got something of a range of colors as well. Piecing it is always a challenge, and in a round patio with a central round paver?  Even more of a challenge. An accepted practice with flagstone is to break off the pointy bits that get in the way. It certainly would make the work easier, but I have a hard time doing it--not only does it seem wasteful, but there's a loss of character.

So Dad and I spent at least as much time puzzling over the pieces, trying to find the best place for each. When things weren't fitting quite right, it was rarely a matter of moving one stone. And often it involved three. Flipping and shifting and trading pieces was intentional and trying work, even with a forgiving margin between stones, and in this small space. (And perhaps because of the small space!)

This could be a metaphor for so many things and so many relationships.
Tonight I am pretty sore, though, so I'll let you consider your own analogies to landscaping endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment