Saturday, September 13, 2014

Considering NaNoWriMo 2014

For the past eight years, I have taken the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) challenge. Each November I have written at least fifty thousand words in some work-- not always fiction, per se, but a free standing work of interest to me, that I likely would not do outside of that month.

I have never had any real interest in editing my works, and indeed, I don't even read them when I'm done. I am not entirely sure that I even have all the manuscripts, and probably do not have them all digitally.

To me, the project is sort of like taking a daily walk. I am not necessarily GETTING anywhere or mapping out any new ground. I am just exercising a muscle or twenty-seven, and stretching myself in different ways.

From time to time I think of using the energy for a more useful product- something I could use in my work, or failing that, some trashy novel I could sell on kindle for $0.99, making me enough money to retire on a diet of ramen and whatever's on the dented can rack.

We've less than fifty days to November 1st. I guess I'd better come up with an idea at some point. The month rarely goes well when I decide to go by the seat of my pants.

Will you be company on my long long walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment