Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Midweek Holidays

I had high aspirations for a homemade Rosh Hashanah dinner.  On a Wednesday.

Aspirational, but not especially rational. I'm just not HOME on Wednesdays.

Oh, no problem, I told myself.  Roast the chicken the night before, prep what you can, and find that 'working woman' challah recipe... totally doable.

So Tuesday after I work I went grocery shopping, roasted the chicken, started chicken stock in  the slow cooker... and realized that we had no yeast for challah.

I did not weep, but I might have moaned. In the end, I bought a challah from the store. Came home as soon as I could, calling the kids from the road to get them started on the prep list. 

The matzoh balls fell apart some, and store challah isn't the same. But my sons will eat nearly anything... and more importantly, I remembered to take a picture of them to send to my mother-in-law.

We had soup and bread and meat and two veggies and dessert came with the first bite of the meal--apple slices dipped in honey. 5775 is off to a sweet start.

Shana Tova, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment