I used to think that grown ups just gain a certain grace--a mixture of competence and patience.
Really, though, I hear from so many peers that we all feel like we're faking it.
Well, with those conversations, I share some of the items from my bag of tricks, strategies to get me through all the things on that grown up checklist.
Meetings are among my challenges--it's hard to just sit and it's so easy for my mind to wander.
- I take copious notes, sometimes verbatim.
- I figure out the prime factorization of the day's date. Sometimes both 91414 and 9142014.
- I look around the table, coming up with at least three facts I know about each person at the table.
- I am careful about where I sit in the room, trying to find a spot where the view isn't too distracting. Bookshelves and skyline views are especially distracting.
- I count the vowels on the meeting agenda or whatever other handout is available.
Grace? Well, at least I mostly behave myself.
What are the strategies you've come up with over the years?