Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Balancing Acts

As I posted recently, the Houston City Council is considering an equal rights ordinance. Over the past couple of weeks there have been three hearings and I've listened in to a fair amount of it. Today's was the most gruelling--over seven hours of comments. 

I had the livestream on in the background most of the day, as I felt it was important to listen to what was happening. At the same time, I had copious work to do, so my attention was split. But then someone would say something so poignant or so...infuriating... that I had to listen. From time to time I would post to Facebook or Twitter a little bit of what I was hearing.

I was working late, but eventually I made my way home, and clicked the hearings back on. Some particularly rough opinions came up.  The coverage on my netbook, so I flipped channels on the TV. And ended up half-watching Elf. Because I've seen it so many times that it's just soothing.

After nine pm, it was obvious that the people in the room were exhausted, everyone physically, and for some, emotionally.  One gentlemen wept as he expressed his anger that a young transgender constituent was taunted on entering the courthouse. There were frustrated calls for the council to truly make a positive difference in the lives of LGBTQ Houstonians, instead of tamely wishing them well.

Tomorrow, we are told, the Houston City Council will vote.
In the meantime, there is some silly TV, and hopes for sleep, and prayers for all those hurting and for the leaders we hope will find their courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment