Sunday, May 25, 2014

Stories For All Of Us

It would be easy enough to decide that that short sweet stories, often
accompanied by pictures, are solely for children.

But when we include this element in worship, we call it a Story for All Ages, because that is truly what it is. Our brains are wired for stories, and this is not a pathway that closes off automatically  with chronological age.  A story opens us to possibility and to hope, and gives us a base to build on.

I'm lucky enough to get to spend some of my working hours immersed in story selection, both for worship services and Sunday school lessons. Every year thousands of new stories are published--I could never truly catch up on it all. 

And a fun thing for me is to flip through the books of my childhood, both for nostalgia and to consider angles within that were not obvious to me in earlier readings. Like, Shel Silverstein's Where The Sidewalk Ends--I never realized just how many of the pieces are about taking risks--some great pieces for change management work.

When's the last time you sought out a storybook? And do you ever reread old favorites, discovering other truths within?

No comments:

Post a Comment